20 9 / 2011
[UPDATED 9/21 with one tap downgrade]
Instagram released v2 of their wildly popular photo sharing app today… and while the update is *mostly* fantastic, there’s issues for some users. Some filters have been removed, others are different, and the tilt shift feature is non-ajustable.
Well, good news! Until Instagram addresses these issues, you can downgrade to a previous version and use all of the features you are accustomed to.
- With iTunes closed, navigate to the Mobile Applications folder.
Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Mobile Applications.
- Remove Instagram from the Mobile Applications folder. Depending on your sync habits, the app may not be in this folder.
- Search your system for .ipa files and locate the old version of Instagram.
- Drag the old Instagram .ipa the iTunes library. A message may be displayed indicating you are replacing the app with an older version. Exactly.
- Uninstall Instagram on your phone by pressing on the icon until it wiggles, then tap the X.
- Connect your phone to iTunes, to the Applications tab and check the box next to Instagram. Click apply and sync your iPhone.
That’s it! Tap the (now-old-looking) Instagram icon and re-enter your credentials. Ahhh.